Virtual Air Guitar Company
Based in Helsinki, Finland
June 24, 2016
Punching air has never felt this good! Kung-Fu for Kinect takes the player’s own video image and puts it inside a 2D fighting adventure. The player fights comic-book villains with real kicks and punches. During cutscenes, Kinect takes snapshots of the player’s poses, giving the player the lead role in their own animated comic book. As with the company’s previous games, Kung-Fu has been designed with daily physical activity in mind. Exercise is one of the big reasons why we make motion games. We want to provide both kids and adults with games that are enjoyable on their own, but also keeps them up and active.
Kung-Fu for Kinect is based on Virtual Air Guitar’s 2011 Xbox 360 game Kung-Fu High Impact. “We’ve received a lot of requests to bring Kung-Fu to Xbox One. We can now answer the popular demand, thanks to great leaps in game development tools, such as Unity® software. We can offer something for new players and old fans alike”, says Aki Kanerva, Founder and Lead Designer at Virtual Air Guitar Company. “This new version has been reprogrammed from scratch using Unity, so we have new cool features like new game modes, more enemies on screen and ragdoll physics that react to your attacks.”
- Step inside the game and turn yourself into a kung-fu hero!
- Use your own moves to punch and kick your way through comic-book villains!
- Leap through the air, conjure lightning and shoot flaming arrows!
- Star in your own kung-fu comic book!
- Story mode with 22 levels!
- 9 replayable challenges for daily fun!
- One-Shot Mode for staging your own finishing moves!
Logo & Icon
- "Kinect isn't dead. Meet the developers keeping motion gaming alive"
- Matt Kamen, WIRED
- "Perhaps the best-ever video game for fitness & exercise. -- 5/5 stars"
- Steve, XboxFitness.org
- "Kung-Fu for Kinect is the most complete and well rounded Kinect game of all time, and truly is a fun game to play. I suggest picking it up as soon as you get the chance. -- 80%"
- Mike Boccher, 1080Players
- "I got my 3 year old daughter to play. [...] The amount of fun she has with Kung-Fu for Kinect every time I load it up is amazing, and she is now asking if she can play the "hi-yah!" game daily. -- 70%"
- Adam Dileva, Xbox Addict
- "Kung-Fu for Kinect is both hardcore and demanding on your senses. -- 80%"
- Asher Madan, ICXM.net
- "The kids always want a go after you are done though, which is the hallmark of a successful game. -- 4/5 stars"
- Chris O'Toole, All About the Games
- "This is most certainly a game that gives you one hell of a workout. -- 3.5/5 stars"
- Neil Watton, The Xbox Hub
- "Everyone with a Kinect device should at least try out this fighting game! -- 91%"
- Dae Jim, Life Is Xbox
- "Kung-Fu for Kinect is simply the best Xbox One Kinect title to date. -- 81%"
- GamingDadUK, Xbox Sector
- "This was definitely the reason the Kinect was made for as it's just a ton of fun and it's crazy to see yourself in the title fighting people. -- 9.5/10"
- Jason Stettner, GamerHeadquarters
- "Kung-Fu for Kinect will offer you actual exercise. Will give fun and entertainment for the whole family. -- 8/10"
- Ricardo Silva, Xbox: Game ON!
- "... y es increíble lo bien que responde Kinect, tanto para recortar nuestra silueta como para detectar nuestros movimientos. -- 8/10"
- Luis Miguel Calzada, Desconsolados
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Virtual Air Guitar Company allows for the contents of Kung-Fu for Kinect to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Kung-Fu for Kinect is legally & explicitly allowed by Virtual Air Guitar Company. This permission can be found in writing at http://virtualairguitar.com/press/sheet.php?p=2016_kung-fu_for_kinect.
Press Release PDF
Kung-Fu for Kinect comes to Xbox One, playable at Unite '16 Europe kungfuforkinect.com.
About Virtual Air Guitar Company
Virtual Air Guitar Company is a Finnish indie studio specializing in motion games, from full-body action to precise fingertip control. The company was founded in 2006 by computer vision and virtual reality researchers.
More information on Virtual Air Guitar Company, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Kung-Fu for Kinect Credits
Aki Kanerva / Virtual Air Guitar Company
Xbox One: Project Lead, Redesign, Programming
Ilkka Kalliomäki / Virtual Air Guitar Company
Xbox One: Programming
Xbox One: Game Design Trainee
Salla Hämäläinen / Freelancer
Xbox One: Additional Sound Design